Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Planning the Big Day

Whalley Range has five polling districts. We have decided to run a full Reading system for three of these.

This means having volunteers posted on each taking voter polling numbers for around 13 hours (from 7 am to as late as 8pm) and comparing these with our voter iD records as the day progresses. In a close marginal we would be knocking out the vote all day but here we will start at 5 or 6pm and make sure as many of our "promises" as possible make the trip to the polling station.

In 2003 and 2004 we have found ourselves knocking on the doors of our natural voters, even taking them to the polling station, but knowing full well that many of them will be against over the war.

I'm no Julian Cope fan but one of his lyrics always pops into my head when I think about this. I've no idea what the tune would be :

"Like a pig pulling a cart of sausages
We are drawing our own conclusion"

Errr, something like that anyway. But for 2005 we have to be more hopeful. Tony Lloyd is immensely popular and very well known. He has been a stalwart anti-war rebel. Voters have been coming back to us, particularly as the local Lib Dem councillors are weak. And everyone can see Blair's on the ropes at the moment.

We have agreed that we will go and knock out the vote in other neighbouring wards if they are short staffed but we want to knock on the door of every promise who has yet to vote at least once.

I agree with two different sub agents to specific stints on "their" polling stations and then field a few calls as they each adjust the arranegments. I tell them to put their heads together and call me when it's settled.

I am also offered the job of being Radio Labour for tomorrow afternoon, touring the strongest Labour wards Tannoying out the vote.

Want to do a bit in one of the more marginal constituencies if I get the chance. At the moment there is a slot - but the way these things go I'm beginning to have doubts whether I can fit it in. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home